Manchester Futsal Club

The Home of Futsal

MATCH REPORT: Manchester 7-2 Oxford City Lions

by Nathan Linley

MATCH REPORT: Manchester 7-2 Oxford City Lions

A ruthless and relentless Manchester side got over the line on Sunday after a rampant second half performance saw them beat Oxford City Lions 7-2 in the FA Futsal Super League.

Two goals from Joaquin ‘Kimet’ Garcia, and with a little help from Debon, Karimi, Richardson, Edge and Peyman got the Blues over the line in what was a pivotal afternoon as far as the Super League table is concerned, which takes Manchester up to third in the standings.

The visitors had their fair share of chances and got a couple of goals through Thomas Moore and Pedro De Carvalho. However, it wasn’t enough to take three points back to Oxfordshire.

The game started off sluggish as both sides attempted to put their foot hold in the game, with a series of unforced errors telling the tale of the early proceedings.

Manchester’s shot stopper Cristiano Pinto was forced into early action as attempts from Oxford City Lions’ Thomas Moore and skipper Luis Audibert were well saved to keep the scores level.

Chances were few and far between, but it was the visitors that broke the dead lock. Thomas Moore was put through one-on-one after a great ball from the back and slotted underneath Pinto to give his side the lead in the first half.

They almost got a second with some great play from Pedro De Carvalho wide on the left, a tenacious shot was well saved by Pinto once more and stopped Manchester from falling further behind before the half time buzzer.

The Blues had it all to do in the second half after an usually quiet first 20 minutes for their standards. But it only took four minutes for Manchester to draw level. A cross from Sam Richardson found Debon making a run at the far post to equalise for the hosts.

The tempo picked up straight from kick off as the away side came right out of the blocks to try and retake the lead. However, they were punished as Manchester turned the game on its head just a minute later. Richardson was involved once more as he won possession just over the 10-metre mark in the Lions half and found Kimet making another far post run for Manchester to give them a 2-1 lead.

The goals kept coming for the home side as Jordan Edge had his say on proceedings, he played a beautiful chipped pass and found Salim Karimi, yet again at the far post, to give the Blues a two-goal advantage.

Literally 30 seconds later, Raphe Barber almost scored his first goal for the club as Jordan Edge picked him out making a wonderful run but couldn’t get the ball out of his feet to unleash an effort on goal and it trickled wide.

But when you need someone to stand up and be counted, to pull a rabbit from a hat, Sam Richardson did just that with his goal. He plays a corner all the way back to goalkeeper Kai Bone who returns, under pressure he brilliantly turned his man on the right and curled a low shot with his left foot into the back of the Oxford net to make it 4-1.

The goals kept coming for Manchester, after getting an assist for Karimi earlier in the game, Jordan Edge hit one from 20 metres which beat Hine in the Oxford net to make it five in what was a stunning finish from the England International.

Oxford opted to go with a fly-keeper in an attempt to salvage the game as Lions skipper Luis Audibert took the responsibility. But he found himself dispossessed by Peyman and had a shot from his own half which found the net and Manchester’s sixth of the afternoon.

The action didn't halt there, Oxford finally scored as Audibert laid off towards Pedro De Carvalho to give the away side a consolation goal and some pride with just three minutes left to play.

But Manchester still weren't finished, a feeling of ruthlessness from the Blues which hasn’t been felt for a while at the National Cycling Centre as Jordan Edge held up play and found Joaquin ‘Kimet’ Garcia on the move, he finished superbly past Hine to secure all three points and to move Manchester up to third in the Super League table.