Manchester Futsal Club

The Home of Futsal

MATCH REPORT: Manchester 7-2 Cambridge United Futsal

by Riegan Thompson

Manchester Futsal ran out 7-2 winners after a dominant display at home to Cambridge United. Four first half goals helped Manchester on their way to the comfortable victory – with a short second half rally from the visitors resulting in their goals.

The result sees Sergi Saldana’s side climb up to 4th in the Super League table.

The hosts started the game on top, threatening Jose Lima’s goal on a number of occasions. Captain Sam Richardson will have felt hard done by not to have beaten the keeper – stinging his palms on two occasions.

The patient passing play that has been implemented by Sergi Saladana begin to show as Jordan Edge found Jordi Texido in space on the right. Texido got his head up and played in Danny Stapleton who scrambled home for the first goal of the afternoon.

Stapleton’s introduction proved to be the spark that brought the game to life. 30 seconds after his first goal he fired the ball into the top right corner from a tight angle, grabbing his and Manchester’s second of the afternoon.

The barrage of Manchester attacks proceeded through the remainder of the first period. Lima was the stand out performer for the away side in the first half producing a number of fantastic saves.

Manchester’s third came in similar circumstances to their previous goals. Kimet finished a patient passing move with a powerful long range effort into the bottom left corner.

Kimet then became the star of the show – going past all four Cambridge players with ease and sliding the ball under Lima to make it 4-0 to Manchester.

The second half played out the same way as the first with total dominance for Manchester – although Cambridge did begin with a more aggressive and higher press.

Manchester added their fifth five minutes into the second period. A lengthy period of passing in front of the Cambridge defence came to and end when Edge slipped through Giles Collier who slotted under the keeper to make it 5-0.

The away side dominated for a short spell and managed to pull two goals back through Jonny Tofts. The first game after they moved the ball quickly and found the gaps – Tofts then curled the ball into the top right corner.

Their second came moments later after Martinez won, and took, a corner – finding Tofts in space to flick past Marcos.

Manchester responded in determined fashion through Texido to make the score 6-2. The Manchester player saw his first effort blocked but made no mistake with his second, smashing the ball home off the underside of the bar.

The scoring was wrapped up four minutes from time. Edge and King exchanged passes as they made their way into the area where King easily slotted home for Manchester’s seventh of the day.

Leave a comment